Monday, March 22, 2010

Pattern, Please.

This two items are the best in my wardrobe right now. I love the color and pattern of the vest. I realize that you can't actually see the vest well, but, when I tried to take a decent far away shot, the pattern just made me dizzy. I'm still working on it. Its always nice to find a treasure thrifting, especially after a bit of a dry spell. Not to mention the woman behind me in the check out line, "Girl, I like crazy things too."

Last night I decided to tackle a new guacamole recipe for a friend's Sunday Night Dinner and was surprised to find it required Saffron. I am ashamed to tell you I knew next to nothing about it, price included. Then, I got a phone call from Louis asking, "Do we really need saffron...for guacamole?" Luckily, my housemate Brenna had some on hand, and is a real peach and let me use some. I pinched the tiniest of pinches and toasted, mashed, and mixed it into the madness. It was so powerful for being 1/8 tsp. and I could taste it in every bite. Wonderful. Which, led to the mad googling today to know a bit more. I found a connection between the flower and Greek Mythology:

Metamorphosis Krokos. A boy loved by the god Hermes. After his accidental death the god transformed him into the saffron flower. Its red stems were desribed as his spilt blood. According to others Krokos was metamorphosed into the flower following the death of his love, the Nymph Smilax.

Saffron has a 3,000 year+ history, and is the world's most expensive spice. 50,000-75,000 flowers are required to obtain a pound (454 grams) of saffron.

No comments:

Post a Comment