Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Slack

Today I got the opportunity to hike up in the Sandia mountains that border Albuquerque. The weather was o so warm, and even the wind didn't pick up too much. Climbing to the top of a little mound I passed two porky dogs walking their owners, a thrush, and a graffiti rock that read, "Diego and Anah, Yeah!" At the top I got to look out on all of Albuquerque and I realized how nice it is to be back. Its such a strange sight to see this city in the middle of the desert and its existence feels a little... impossible. Growing up here I never understood the spiritual draw that New Mexico had. Now, when I am staring at the burning purple of the Sandias at sunset, I start to get it, I start to feel it. It feels good.
This afternoon I spent some time at the park with Jess and Louis while they were slack lining. I got to tote around my brand new, and sublimely wonderful, Klean Kanteen and read Salt: A World History. I was really pleasantly surprised how many people came over to talk and find out what exactly we were doing. More than that, everyone seemed to know each other, dogs and kids ran around and we were all intoxicated with the outdoors. My neighborhood has a really great energy, and I'm settling in well.


1 comment: